As a Bitter Old Fandom Queen, here’s some advice to surviving the current wank!
1. For the love of Talia, STAY OUT OF THE STEREK TAG. I understand the appeal of checking it out; like when there’s a car crash happening and you can’t look away, or a silent television in a bar which has suddenly developed unforseen hypnotic properties. I understand the appeal! But for the sake of your sanity, DON’T DO IT. If it’s something you normally follow, unfollow it for the time being. The chances of finding any actual Sterek content there at the moment is extremely low.
2. Remember that it is only SOME fans, not ALL. People always talk about ‘Sterek’ or ‘non-Sterek’ fans which ruffles a lot of feathers, but it is NEVER all Sterek fans or all non-Sterek fans. If a Sterek fan or non-Sterek fan is being an assbutt, that is ONE fan, not all. Important to remember. Also important to remember are the fans who don’t give a crap about Sterek either way (they exist! I promise!).
3. Remember all the awesooooooooome things about fandom. All the friendships you’ve formed! The amazing, astounding creativity! The hilarious recaps and well-thought out meta!
4. Everyone makes mistakes and EVERYONE says things they shouldn’t say/phrases things in an unfortunate way. This doesn’t mean they shouldn’t be held accountable or have to deal with consequences, but EVERYONE makes mistakes. Stiles knows I have - and you have too.
5. No one should ever be ashamed or attacked for liking a particular thing about their show. Watch for whatever the hell reason you want/like to watch for. This is YOUR viewing experience, no matter what the creators want or intend, and you have nothing to be ashamed about. Don’t attack anyone else for the reasons they watch the show or because they simply have a different opinion to you, either. It’s NOT COOL.
6. In relation to 5, remember that if someone is very vocal about loving something on the show, that DOES NOT MEAN they automatically hate something else about it! Loving something is not the same as hating everything else. For example, pretty much all I reblog is Stiles at the moment ;D But I love all of the other characters! Just because Stiles is my favourite doesn’t mean I hate anyone else (except The Twins. BECAUSE).
7. Remember what you love about the show! Watch some of your favourite episodes or scenes. Re-watch favourite fanvids, re-read fav fics, post/reblog what you love about the show, create something new to share with the fandom. We all know that negativity lingers much longer in our brains than happiness, so focus only on the happiness!
8. Opinions can change. I hated Scott in season one. HATED. He drove me MAD. Then came season two and he was a ray of sunshine in my fandom life! I loved him!! Your opinions can change too - and so can other people’s! And there’s nothing wrong with that!
9. Opinions can stay the same. Stiles has always, always been my favourite character and I seriously doubt that’s ever going to change. There’s nothing wrong with that, either!
10. And the best bit of advice from the wonderful Craig Ferguson:
Does this need to be said?
Does this need to be said by me?
Does this need to be said by me now?
LOOK AT THESE CUTIE-PATOOTIES!!!!